Dolby Atmos is one of the most advanced sound technologies in the world and it is also one of the most widely used sound technology in many of the theaters world wide.
Microsoft’s Xbox One and Sony’s PlayStation 4 are already compatible with the superb technology, allowing you to use your Dolby Atmos certified sound system easily with the consoles.
But unfortunately, Windows 10 does not support Dolby Atmos technology natively, rendering your new Atmos certified sound system the same as any other high-end audio device.
But now we can enjoy the true awesomeness of the Dolby Atmos right in our home theaters and headphones by installing Dolby Atmos in our Windows PC.
What Is DOLBY ATMOS
The next big thing in the audio industry, Dolby Atmos is a technology designed for surround sound systems.
Dolby Atmos provides a 3D system for the audio, basically delivering the sound in 3-dimensional space, giving you an immersive experience of surround sound.
It is the next step forward, in giving the user the illusion that he/she is at the center of the action.
How To Install DOLBY ATMOS In Your PC
Well, its pretty simple. You have to install Dolby Atmos in your PC just like you have been installing other apps from the windows store. Dolby Atmos App can be downloaded here.
Step 1: Open Windows Store
- Open windows store in your PC and search for Dolby Atmos.
Step 2: Install Dolby Atmos App
- Its pretty obvious what you have to do next. It would be too awkward to tell you what to do next explicitly 😛 .
Step 3: Launch The App
- Once the installation is done, launch the app.
Step 4: Follow the on screen instructions
- Once the Dolby Access app has been loaded, you will be presented with an options screen on how you would like to experience Dolby Atmos.
- You can either select to configure it with your Dolby Atmos Home Theater System or you can experience Dolby Atmos with your Dolby Atmos supported headphones.
- After this, pretty much everything will be self explanatory in the app itself. Proceed with the on-screen instructions to continue using the immersive experience offered by Dolby Atmos on your home theater system or your headphones that support the Dolby Atmos technology.
Alternative: Windows Sonic For Headphones
While Dolby Atmos is a great product to use, it is only available as a 30-day trial on your PC, and the full version will set you back by $14.99 or Rs.952.
Furthermore, you can only take advantage of the Dolby Atmos if your sound system or headphones are Dolby Atmos certified. If you wish to use your normal gaming headsets with the advanced technology, sadly, you cannot.
Thankfully, Microsoft itself has developed its own feature of “Windows Sonic for Headphones”, which available as a free service in the Windows 10 Creators Update. To make use of it, follow the steps below.
- Right-click on the speaker icon in your system tray and select “Spatial sound”.
- A new window for Speakers Properties will open up. Under the Spatial sound format, click on “None” to open a drop-down box. From there, select “Windows Sonic for Headphones”.
- Once you’ve done that. Click on “Apply” and then on “Ok”. And that’s it. Windows Sonic for Headphones will now be enabled.
Use Dolby Atmos On Your PC
Dolby Atmos is clearly the future, thanks to the immersive and interactive audio experience offered by the technology.
If you happen to have a Dolby Atmos certified sound system or headphone, the Dolby Access app should work well to help you enhance the overall sound quality of your devices.
Alternatively, you can use Windows Sonic for Headphones as well, to enhance the depth and the overall throw of the music.